LIST OF POPOL VUH COMPILATIONS
Of the many compilations that were released over the years, only a few were authorized by Florian Fricke himself:
GESANG DER GESÄNGE - 1988
"After the recording of Cobra Verde (Milan), the soundtrack to Werner Herzogs new film, Florian Fricke spent some time in the Munich Union Studio in order to re-mix, edit and compile the material for ‘Gesang der Gesänge’ which is an exclusive CD release on Cicada.
The material is composed during the period of 71-74 (some of it released on record later) and contains what Florian himself considers as highlights from this period". (from: Cicada Records Newsletter 1-1988)
SING, FOR SONG DRIVES AWAY THE WOLVES - 1990
i/e: Could you tell us a little more about your last album, how it came about and what’s behind it?
Florian Fricke: Sing, for Song Drives Away the Wolves is a remix of two Lps Heart of Glass, and Eins_Jaeger, Siebenjaeger. In the past on numerous occasions record companies have put together their own compilations of Popol Vuh music and I was not asked. A little over a year ago, I had the idea of doing a remix of pieces that would be reworked to include percussion, bass and various other instruments, so that the essence, a very important part of the Popol Vuh music, could be expressed the way I interpret it; and with that I mean the inner fire that exists in this music (i/e,1995).
• Perlenklänge - 1976
• Tantric Songs - 1981
• Music from Werner Herzog Films Soundtracks - 1982
• Nosferatu: the Vampire (compilation) - 1984
• Aguirre (compilation) - 1984
• Gesang der Gesänge - 1988
• The Best of Popol Vuh: Fitzcarraldo - Cobra-Verde - Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht, Gasherbrum - Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes - 1989
• Sing, for Song Drives Away the Wolves - 1990
• Popol Vuh - Florian Fricke - 1991
• Best Soundtracks from Werner Herzog Films - 1992
• The Best Soundtracks from Werner Herzog Films - 1991
• The Best of Popol Vuh: From The Films of Werner Herzog - 1993
• Revisited & Remixed: 1970-1999 - 2011